Artisan bread





I saw part of an episode of “Modern Marvels” yesterday on the History Channel about bread.

The part I saw specifically discussed the rising popularity (pun intended) of artisan breads in the US. By the end of the episode I was very hungry for some good bread. I even imagined I could smell it!

Now, I don’t eat white bread. I even avoid the standard supermarket sliced whole wheat because they tend to have high fructose corn syrup (among other additives), which is one of the worst things to happen to food in the last 50 years.

But the bread that I do buy is still supermarket sliced bread, albeit the slightly more expensive 100% organic whole wheat bread, which avoids the worst preservatives and additives.

Out here in my city, we have one kosher bakery. They produce tasty challah and a few other basic breads. But they don’t produce real artisan breads like sourdough, breads that it actually takes time to make.

I’m trying to remember if in New York there are kosher bakeries that produced the really good stuff. I know I’ve has some really good bread in restaurants and also from bakeries in Israel. But out here in the midwest, there’s no chance of me getting a decent handmade long-rising bread.

I think I’ll try baking my own. I do a lot of cooking, but I’ve never been a baker. So wish me luck! I’ll report back with results.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycott the Chidon HaTanach?

What kind of skeptic are you?

Tzniyus Fetish