Supporting Israel doesn't mean supporting the right-wing there

Earlier, on Facebook, I criticized the establishment of a new settlement in the memory of the 3 boys. I suggested that if they really wanted to honor their memory, they could give tzedaka, learn mishnayot, even establish a new yishuv inside the green line, rather than creating a political provocation for the PA at a time when Yehuda and Shomron has, thankfully, stayed relatively quiet as compared to Gaza.

Of course, a number of you strongly disagreed with me, as I expected. But one comment really bothered me, implying that since I don't live there, I shouldn't question these types of decisions.

Here's my issue with that attitude.

Even if you accept the "you're in chutz la-Artez, you can't judge the war in Gaza" argument (which I don't), this case is entirely different. This has nothing to do with protecting people.

I happen to have consistently supported the incursion into Gaza (despite the horrific consequences, which I blame on Hamas).

This has nothing to do with protecting our brothers and sisters from rockets and terror. This is a political decision to make a right-wing political point, and there is NOTHING unseemly about criticizing it.

Supporting Israel in a time of war means supporting the army and the fight against the enemy. It does NOT mean unquestioning support of damaging right wing policies.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycott the Chidon HaTanach?

Tzniyus Fetish

What kind of skeptic are you?