What did you do during the break?

Hope everyone had a comfortable and meaningful fast.

We finished davening at 2:45 and Mincha was at 4:45.

Of course, I had already taken a break during mussaf for 20 minutes. I just can't sit so long. I went to the library which is a 2 minute walk from my shul and started reading what promises to be a fascinating and gripping book "The Last Theorem" by Arthur C Clarke and Frederick Pohl, 2 elderly giants of science fiction. It's Clarke's swan song before his death earlier this year. I hope to get to the library before Shabbat to take it out.

During the break I went home, sat in my easy chair and somehow made the strange choice to read cookbooks. I was reading "Mediterranean Vegetarian Cooking", a poor strategy for dealing with fasting, but now I'm all fired up to try making chick pea soup, fava bean falafel, and others tasty sounding recipes.

What did you do during the break on Yom Kippur?
------------------------------------------------------------
Update 10/20/08: The Clarke/Pohl book wasn't worth it. Some cool ideas to read about, but as a novel it failed completely. Very little in the way of plot and one of the most boring protagonists I've ever seen in a fictional work.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycott the Chidon HaTanach?

What kind of skeptic are you?

Tzniyus Fetish